Thursday, June 18, 2009

First Post

So last night I couldn't sleep. And it occurred to me that I should start exercising. So I did.

Welcome to Day 1.

***

A quick history of my physical health...

I break things. Regularly. Snapped both bones in my right arm at 5, 1 in my left arm at 12 and my collarbone at 18. Along with various fingers and toes along the way.

I've been riding horses regularly since 9. Competition level hunter/jumpers from 10-20. JV track and lacrosse, varsity equestrian through high school.

My senior year of high school I decided I wanted to attend the US Air Force Academy. Breaking my collarbone in a riding accident put an end to that plan but I joined the AF ROTC program in the fall of my freshman year at college. I continued riding.

Except for various accidents and illnesses--broken toe, sprained ankle, mono--my physical fitness rate was climbing rapidly. 5 hours of mandated work out a week + 1 hour of horseback riding pretty much guarantees it.

Then I was diagnosed with Leukemia. Oof. The Air Force medically disqualified me. And I gained a chronic pain disorder, Fibromyalgia.

I haven't seen the inside of a gym for 4 years beyond spectating.

Now I occasionally walk with a cane, cannot go long distances, have almost no strength (opening jars is a problem!) and am regularly dripping in sweat from a walk acrossed a parking lot.

I am very, very, very unfit.

For a long time I have thought of my body as letting me down. Today, for the first time, it occurred to me that perhaps the opposite is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment